I see my clients through a lens of empowerment, social justice and trauma-informed care.
- Have you had trauma in your life that seems too hard to face alone?
- Do you often use alcohol or drugs to help you cope with difficulties that seem too big?
- Are standard advice and treatments for substance difficulties not what you need?
Rather than seeing what is “wrong” with you, I am inspired by your story, genuinely interested in who you are, how you see yourself, how your life has been shaped by your family, your environment, your financial circumstances, your ethnic background, your gender, your sexual orientation, and your health.
Together we will explore how life experiences have shaped your beliefs and behaviors, impacting your ability to thrive and live life on life’s terms. Your life challenges and successes give you unique strengths that we will make good use of in our work together.
As a mental health provider and drug and alcohol counselor, I have worked extensively with:
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Family Systems Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Drug and Alcohol Assessments
- Medication Assisted Treatment for Support with Opioid Dependency
- Seeking Safety
- Individual, Couples and Family Counseling
- Group Therapy
- Adjustments to Complex Medical Conditions
- Professional and Career Burnout
- EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy
- Somatic Experiencing (not certified)
I am also in recovery from alcohol use disorder, coming from a lens of lived experience. I have benefited from support, healthy relationships, and doing my own therapy. I know this road, both professionally, and personally. I can help you navigate it with expertise, kindness and strength and success. If your goal is abstaining, medication support or just cutting down on substance use, , I can help you find effective ways to cope with trauma and loss without turning to substance use.
If you are seeking someone who is comfortable working with all sorts of people, I welcome:
- All Races
- All Religions
- All Cultures
- All Economic Backgrounds
- Rural Folks or City Folks
I am comfortable working with all races, gender expressions, including non-binary genders, sexual orientations and expressions, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. I also welcome transgender populations, including those experiencing transgender process affirmations within their medical community.
I come for a diverse background with a vast amount of clinical experience:
- Medical Social Worker and Addiction Specialist Oregon Health and Science University
- Mental Health Provider for Adolescents at Sea Mar
- Mental Health Provider and Drug and Alcohol Counselor for the Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest Inc
- Faculty for Portland State University in their School of Social Work Program
Because I have been there, I know the courage it takes to walk into my office, sit down with me, and begin to tell your story. I am deeply honored by your first step of trust, and strive to be worthy of your trust in every interaction we have. If you are looking for a compassionate inspiring mental health therapist that is goal and result oriented, please contact Counseling Services of Portland today and make an appointment with me so we can work together to create a life worth living.
Resources I Love to Share with Clients
Some of my favorite books include:
- I Don’t Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression.
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabore Mate
- The Mindful Brain by Daniel Siegal
- No Drama Discipline by Daniel Siegal
- Mindsight by Daniel Siegal
- Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegal
- Red Road to Wellbriety by White Bison
Websites and Articles You May Find Helpful
- Bruce Perry’s Childhood Trauma Academy http://childtrauma.org/
- Information on the ACE’s study https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy/indexhttp://whitebison.org/.html
- The Linehan Institute http://linehaninstitute.org/
- White Bison http://whitebison.org/
- The Sensorimotor Institute
- Gabor Mate: Human Development Through the Lens of Science and Compassion http://drgabormate.com/
- SMART Recovery http://www.smartrecovery.org/
Daren Specializes In:
Addiction Medical Social Worker Oregon Health and Science University Hospital – 2015 to Present for Improving Addiction Care Team, Oregon Health and Science University Hospital
- Providing support, training and education in best practices in addiction for residents, medical students, attending physicians, nurses, social workers and medical staff working in a hospital setting
- Working with physicians trained in medication assisted treatment to provide assessments, care planning, linkage and support to patients during hospital admissions and after hospital discharge
- Supporting in system development for effective linkage to residential and outpatients treatment for patients with complex comorbid conditions impacted by substance use • Support for interdisciplinary medical teams providing consultations on medications, behavioral concerns and treatment recommendations for patients with endocarditis
- Promoting patient and provider advocacy teaching trauma informed care practice throughout a university hospital setting • Providing and teaching program development for interdisciplinary medical, behavioral and administration teams working with complex care patients impacted by addiction
- Supporting new system development that coordinates patient care in hospital settings linking patients with substance use disorders with effective and appropriate care during admissions and discharge back to their community
Faculty Portland State University School – 2014 to Present of Social Work
- Adjunct instructor for a state university providing lesson planning, curriculum development, and lectures in behavioral health and family studies.
- Field Instructor and clinical supervisor for advanced and generalist practice students in the Masters of Social Work program
Licensed Clinical Social Worker Oregon Health and Science University Family Medicine – Portland, OR – 2013 to Present Portland, Oregon
- Development of a multi-interdisciplinary model designed to advocate and provide care for patients with complex medical and behavioral issues.
- Social worker on the health resilient specialist team for primary care supporting patients vulnerable to high utilization of emergency department and hospital admissions • Creation of a Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and Seeking Safety program that can be integrated into a family medicine model.
- Presenter and facilitator of Trauma Informed Care throughout OHSU’s diverse medical system.
- Consultant, instructor and advocate for patients and primary care providers and residents in family medical settings to create more continuity in community care.
Training and Program Specialist, Oregon Health Science University Department of Addiction Technology Transfer Center – 2014 to 2015 Network
- Provide training in best practices in addictions to diverse agencies throughout the Pacific Northwest
- Development and enhancement of curriculum in best practices
- Support and development of research including literature reviews, literature summaries and outlines
- Lecturer providing insight into complexities of trauma and its impact on complex co-morbid issues
Mental Health Therapist Sea Mar – Washougal, WA – 2012 to 2013
- Development of a school based mental health program for Washougal High School.
- Provided mental health assessments, treatment planning, evidence based clinical practice and case management for adolescents as well as adults within an underserved community.
- Consultant, instructor and advocate for students, teachers, school counselors and administrators for Clark County School District.
Mental Health Therapist Native American Rehabilitation Association of Northwest, Inc – Portland, OR – 2008 to 2012
- Development of integrating mental health program into primary care setting.
- Provided mental health and ASAM assessments, treatment planning, evidence based clinical practice, case management for intensive outpatient drug and alcohol program.
- Created and facilitated cultural specific group therapy and psycho-education classes for Native American patients such as Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Seeking Safety, men’s process groups, dual diagnosis and drug and alcohol classes. • Field instructor and supervisor for advanced clinical practice graduate students and certification for drug and alcohol counseling.
Special Education Teacher Serendipity Center – Portland, OR – 2003 to 2007
- Provided education in a therapeutic school setting for elementary school students that had been impacted by adverse childhood experiences.
- Created and modified education settings and curriculum to meet the needs of diverse learners.
- Facilitated meetings, individual education planning and behavioral planning with multi-disciplinary team of educators, administrators, child psychiatrists, psychologists, family and social workers.
- Supervised a team of skills trainers and program assistants.
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker: L5734
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor II: 10-03-42
- Masters of Social Work in Social Work Portland State University 2008
- Bachelors of Art in Liberal Science Northern Arizona University 2002
- Over 12 years of experience in the field of mental and behavioral health, addictions and medical social work.
- Experienced mental health provider facilitating individual and group counseling for people struggling with anxiety and mood disorders impacted by complex trauma.
- Medical social worker specializing in medication assisted treatment, substance use disorders and behavioral health consultation in hospital and primary care settings.
- Program developer for the ever changing field of community health care. • Advocate, educator, consultant and faculty for patients, providers and learners in the health care community.