- Have you ever sensed that a different kind of life was possible?
- Have you noticed that anxiety and depression are holding you back from the life you really want?
Anxiety and depression challenge us all. But when they start running the show you may find yourself isolating, playing it safe instead of living fully, settling for quick fixes instead of real solutions. Perhaps you’ve been noticing procrastination slowing things down.
You may even fear that things will never get better and tell yourself to “just settle for less.”
Ask yourself, what will it cost me . . .
- If I continue to feel stressed and irritable?
- If I continue to procrastinate?
- If I continue to let depression, anxiety or grief get the best of me?
Also, what will it cost my children and loved ones if I don’t live up to my full potential?
If you’re paying a price . . . you’re not alone. Many people experience these challenges at some point during their lives. I’ve been helping clients renew their confidence and create peaceful and productive lives for over 20 years.
The safe and nurturing therapeutic environment I provide can help you make sense of your circumstances. Together, we can help you make peace with “what is.” And let your natural organic intelligence help you live a more balanced, confident life.
Most people wait too long to get help, hoping things will get better. You may be suffering needlessly. If you’ve had a loss, either in the past or in the present, I can help you create a little breathing room from these challenges, so you can reassemble the pieces of your life and plan what to do next.
I specialize in Somatic Experiencing as well as traditional therapy, helping you make a solid mind-body alliance that will reconnect you to the life you want.
Choosing a therapist is a very important decision. I offer a free phone consultation to make it easy for you to take that first step, and start making positive changes in your life.
You’re not alone. Together, we’ll restore your optimism.
Somatic Experiencing® Therapy
Have you tried talk therapy and looking for better, lasting results?
You’ve told your story and you understand why you feel the way you do, but you still feel anxious. Perhaps you’re doubting yourself. Feeling isolated and anxious. Having a hard time sleeping, still feel tense and stressed, procrastinating. You’re probably someone who has been successful and creative in the past and are frustrated you can’t recover fast enough.
If you’re ready to try a different approach, Somatic Experiencing® may be helpful to you.
Peter Levine, founder of Somatic Experiencing®, has made ground breaking discoveries in the last 45 years that help people experience lasting resilience and ease.
Many people find Somatic Experiencing® to be a gentle approach that helps them feel better and get better. Learn more about how Somatic Experiencing® works in some of the articles I’ve written.
Somatic Experiencing® (SE) uses the body’s Organic Intelligence® to relieve and resolve the symptoms of anxiety, depression and fear. Simple yet powerful tools help you release physical tension and return to your natural resilient state, feeling grounded, confident and at ease.
Somatic Experiencing® can be especially helpful if you have experienced long term challenges in childhood. Clients are pleasantly surprised to learn that they are not “broken” and just need skilled support to return to a natural state of balance and health.
If you have overwhelming feelings, you’ll be glad to know that you can work with these a little bit at a time. You can start to feel empowered knowing that with the right conditions and support, your body can process and discharge anxiety, depression, self doubt, fears and feel more calm and balanced at the end of each session.
You may experience the safety of our therapeutic relationship, with someone who is warm, caring, protective, and knowledgeable of the process, grows your confidence that you can get better, naturally. We will work at a pace that feels right to you will grow a deeper sense of control, safety, and trust.
I’ve been practicing somatic tools personally for many years and have found Somatic Experiencing® a systematic, gentle and enjoyable way to help myself as well as clients.
Call or email me if you’d like to chat about how Somatic Experiencing® might help you.
I accept all health insurance and would love to answer any questions.
Not only do I have over 25,000 hours in face to face work with clients, I have also worked in the business world in international trade as well as a University research director and as a professional artist and teacher.
But what really matters is that I practice what I teach, so I know it works.
- Private Practice psychotherapist since 1985
- Outpatient psychotherapist at Providence Hospital Chemical Dependency for 8 years
- Milieu manager at Legacy Children’s Hospital Eating Disorder Unit
- Other group and individual therapy experience includes: Programa Hispano, YWCA Counseling, Portland Alternative Health Center, Northwest Treatment Services
Group Therapy Experience. Providence Hospital; Legacy Children’s Hospital, Programa Hispano, Portland Alternative Health Center, Northwest Treatment; Women’s Support Group for 7 years, Earth School Institute. Over the span of my career, I have provided over 10,000 face to face hours of group therapy.
Education and Licensure
- Masters degree in Social Work from Portland State University
- Bachelor and Masters of Science in Sociology, Minor in Statistics from Portland State University, graduated with honors
- State Board of Clinical Social Workers, license # 3583
2000 hours of supervised face to face clinical work
- Somatic Experiencing®, Foundation for Human Enrichment, Peter Levine Phd
- SoulCollage® Trainer of Facilitators
- SoulCollage® Facilitator
- Motivational Interviewing – Providence Behavioral Health
- Interpersonal Neurobiology Applications: Mental Health and Addictions
- Brain Science and Behavior, Daniel Amen MD
- Supervision for licensure with Dave Johnson LCSW, Providence Hospital
- Clinical supervision with Bill Kruger LCSW, graduate of Masterson Institute and treatment of personality disorder, Clinical Director at Providence Crisis Triage for 22 years
- Clinical supervision Susie Snyder LCSW, Adjunct faculty at PSU School of Social Work, Group supervision, Brief Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy
- Gottman Institute of Marital Therapy
- Narrative Therapy with Susie Snyder LCSW
- New England School of Homeopathy, Amherst MA, Dr. Paul Herscu
- Lakota Spirituality with Patricia Spradling at the Wy’East Center
- Vipassana Meditation at the Northwest Vipassana Center
- Conscious Relationship Training with Gaye and Kathlyn Hendricks PhD – Hendricks Institute
- Conscious Breathing with Gaye Hendricks PhD – Hendricks Institute Body Centered Therapy
- Classical Homeopathy training at New England School of Homeopathy
- Meditation Teacher Training at WPI
- Intuition Training at WPI
Presentations & Publications
- “SoulCollage®: Letting Your Soul Speak Through Art,” July 2008, New Connexion Magazine
- “Externalization: Using SoulCollage® to Manage Mental Health & Addiction Issues” Continuing Education seminar for mental health professionals
- “Externalization: Using SoulCollage® to Manage Mental Health & Addiction Issues,” presented at First Annual SoulCollage Facilitators Conference, Santa Cruz CA November 2007
- “Empathic Confrontation: Helping Clients with BPD Contain Problem Emotions and Behaviors,” Presentation to Kaiser Beaverton Mental Health, August 2000
- “Finding the Simillimum in Borderline Personality Disorder: a Guide for Doctors. Simillimum – International Journal of the Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians, Spring 2000.
- “Integrating Spirituality in the Treatment of Sexual Abuse,”University of Arizona Conference, Spirituality, Healing and Health: Transformative Vision, April 1999
- “Integrating Spirituality in the Treatment of Sexual Abuse,” Presented at NASW Oregon State Conference, October 1998
- “Housing the Homeless, Review of Current Literature Regional Research Institute, Regional Research Institute, PSU, 1997
- “Land Use, Community and Subsistence Patterns in Rural and Urban Alaskan Residents,” Institute of Social & Economic Research, University of Alaska, March 1979
- “Sampling Methods for Double-ended Sample Distributions,” University of Alaska, 1979
Work Experience In the Business World
- Executive Director for Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians
- Founder Earth School Institute for Mind-Body-Soul Integration
- Marketing Manager for International Trade Services
- Research Director at University of Alaska in Fairbanks, Institute of Social and Economic Research
- Statistics Instructor for Wildlife Biology at University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Research Assistant Center for Population Research at the Portland Census Bureau
- Graphic Designer and Calligrapher at Northwest Pencraft
- Artist & Art Teacher at Art and Soul Retreats, Portland Community College,
- Breitenbush Hot springs, DIY Lounge