And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Hi, my name is Jill Hanna.
Sometimes challenges are incredibly difficult to overcome alone. Entering into therapy with someone who specializes in treating anxiety, depression, and trauma can help you to relieve your distress and live a more fulfilling life. As your therapist, I will partner with you so that you can begin to feel better and develop an improved sense of well-being.
I have always loved being a therapist and find it to be very meaningful and fulfilling work. My clients often tell me they like that I am interactive, funny, and down to earth, with a warm and collaborative approach to figuring out helpful strategies that bring them closer to their goals.
I have a deep interest in working with people who struggle with anxiety, depression, and different types of trauma (child sexual abuse, neglect/abandonment, natural disasters, violence, etc.).
The process of finding the right therapist can be quite daunting–as I myself have experienced! The two most important considerations when choosing a therapist is to be able to:
- develop a trusting, secure relationship where you can bring your full self–where every part of you is welcomed and supported
- determine that the therapist you choose has the training and experience to tailor therapy to your needs and assist you in addressing your specific concerns
It is for this reason that I encourage you to contact me for a free phone consultation to help you determine if we are a good fit.
Who I See:
Teens 16 years and older
Parents of teens
Anxiety-related issues (including social anxiety and OCD)
Depression/sadness/lack of motivation
Single-incident and complex trauma
Difficulty with relationships
Parenting issues/difficulty connecting with your teen
I work with clients to increase flexibility in thinking, tolerate and cope effectively with strong feelings, face things that are scary or upsetting, increase self-acceptance, resolve issues from the past, develop healthy self-compassion, develop satisfying relationships, and live a life consistent with their values and goals.
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (Certified)
- EMDR (working toward EMDRIA certification)
- Exposure and Response Prevention (International OCD Foundation, BTTI)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- “Parts” work based in Internal Family Systems
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Clinical mentoring/clinical consultation
- Social Justice/Anti-Racism/LGBTQ+ advocacy
I began counseling teenagers and their families in 1994 while working in residential treatment programs that focused on mental health and substance abuse treatment. I earned my Masters in Mental Health Counseling in 1999 and completed all requirements to become a California licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in 2006. Since then, I have continued cultivating my skills as a therapist with teenagers and adults.
In 2019, seeking a cooler climate and driven by my love of the outdoors, good music, and food, I moved to Portland.
2018 Oregon Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #T1485
2006 California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #43645
2014 California Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor #1746