“HEAL from the past, CHANGE in the present, HOPE for the future.”
Would you like to improve your relationship or marriage? Are you unsure if it can be saved? Are there communication issues, unresolved conflict, anger, infidelity, trust or other issues?
Are you dissatisfied with your sex life? Would you like to improve emotional and physical intimacy, achieve sexual satisfaction, overcome ED, recover from sexual abuse, or deal with the effects of pornography?
Do you identify as Queer / LGBTQIA+, are you unsure? Do you want a confidential, non-judgmental, affirming place to work on yourself, your relationship, or family issues?
As a parent, do you feel disappointed, guilty, overwhelmed, angry, scared, or ill-equipped? Is there room for improvement in co-parenting, in your parent–child relationship, or family dynamics? Do you want more peace and fun in your family?
Are you pre/postpartum, having mood swings, feeling overwhelmed, teary, or stuck? Would you like help overcoming postpartum depression or parental anxiety?
My 20+ years of experience and training has equipped me to be a knowledgeable and effective counselor. But it is my personality that makes me an empathetic and compassionate helper for healing, change, and hope.
I have a warm casual style of doing therapy. You will be surprised at how quickly you feel comfortable and relaxed with me. I am honored to help couples, individuals, and families get to the place where they can experience fulfilling, healthy relationships.
My clients tell me I have a knack for quickly “getting to the heart of the matter” and figuring out what they need and how to best help them attain it.
Having a therapist that specializes in your particular area of concern can really benefit you.
I specialize in helping people overcome:
• Relationship Issues: I can help you increase your relationship satisfaction, rebuild trust, and even recover from infidelity!
I’ll help you identify core issues and gain skills to create positive relationship change. We’ll address anger, pain, fear, and other emotions holding you back. You’ll take steps towards repair and learn to set and maintain healthy boundaries, making your relationship safe to enjoy each other.
• Sexual Dissatisfaction or Dysfunction: You’ll be pleasantly surprised that you can greatly improve your emotional intimacy, sexual satisfaction, and address and overcome core issues blocking function and desire.
• LGBTQIA+ Concerns / Gender Dysphoria: If you are Queer, (LGBTQIA+), have an atypical orientation or relationships and want a safe, understanding, knowledgeable, and non-judgmental place to sort through your challenges, I am here for you. I can help you become more self-secure, improve your relationships with yourself and others, work through “coming out” or other social concerns, understand gender issues/dysphoria, and discover and transition to your congruent personal identity and lifestyle.
• Parenting / Family Concerns: I will offer you (and your co-parent) help to be more confident, effective, and build a healthier parent/child relationship. I’ll help you gain skills to identify and express your wants and needs to your partner and family members, gain their cooperation, address power struggles, clarify role expectations, improve boundaries, determine and make your parenting style more consistent, and help you learn effective, caring communication skills.
• Maternal Mental Health / Postpartum Anxiety and Depression: I can help you increase your personal well-being, improve family dynamics, increase your coping skills, and help your mood become more stable.
Here are a few of the things my clients have written about me:
– “I can truly say, counseling with Valinda saved my marriage. I am eternally grateful.” M.T.
– “Valinda is so understanding and helpful. I consider her one of the safest places to be real”. L.S.
– “As a queer person, it was nice to have a therapist that supported me and understood my lifestyle. I didn’t have to explain it to her, she just got me. Thanks for helping me come out to my family”. CS
– “One of the most professional and wise therapists around. She has a gift with listening and responding. I highly recommend Valinda!” J.A.
– “Thank you for helping me get over my sexual issues. I never imagined I would be able to trust anyone again”. Thank you! J.W.
– “It was important to have a Christian counselor. It was great to be able to pray together. She understood my values. God Bless you for helping our marriage and family!” PG
– “Valinda helped me and my family so much. We were in a really bad place, my husband and I were fighting a lot. Our son just came out as gay and we didn’t know how to handle it. She helped our family stay in tack”. T.B.
– “I went to Valinda in a time of my life when most new mothers are full of joy and exhilaration, instead I was stumbling through postpartum depression and the shifting identity from career woman to stay at home mom. She became a constant source of grace and wisdom, offering her parental and marital insight”. V.S.
How will therapy help you?
- You will learn to identify the issues that are causing your problems.
- You will learn how to create and sustain positive change.
- You will set and reach new goals.
- You will achieve healthier, more fulfilling relationships with others and with yourself.
- You will gain insight, learn coping skills, create new patterns of thinking, and change behavior.
- Master in Psychology & Professional Counseling
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) Florida & Washington
- Professional Licensed Counselor (PLC) Oregon
- Certified Pre-marriage and Marriage Counselor (Prepare-Enrich, Gottman Institute of Marriage, Emotionally Focused Couples Counseling)
- Certified Parenting Coach (Positive Parenting, training in Family therapy)
- Sexual wellness/sex therapy (ACA, Penners)
- Gender issues and LGBTQIA+ issues (WPATH, ALGBTIC member)
- Christian Counseling (Hosanna Ministry)
- National Board Certified Counselor
Using various proven, effective tools and techniques. I customize a treatment plan based on your unique personality, values, needs, and goals. I am respectful and affirming of your lifestyle and spirituality.
Depending on your personality, needs and goals, I may use a combination of:
- CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy)
- REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy)
- Narrative Therapy
- Gestalt Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Experiential Exercises
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Spirituality (at the request of the client).
I will offer you a non-judgmental, confidential relationship, a safe place of empathy and support. I will encourage you, challenge you, and equip you!
If you think that I can help, I would love to hear from you. Please give me a call at 503-342-2510 to learn more about me or to schedule an appointment.