I see my clients through a lens of empowerment, social justice and trauma-informed care.
- Have you had trauma in your life that seems too hard to face alone?
- Do you often use alcohol or drugs to help you cope with difficulties that seem too big?
- Are standard advice and treatments for your substance use disorder difficulties not what you need?
Rather than seeing what is “wrong” with you, I am inspired by your story, genuinely interested in who you are, how you see yourself, how your life has been shaped by your family, your environment, your financial circumstances, your ethnic background, your gender, your sexual orientation, and your health.
Together we will explore how life experiences have shaped your beliefs and behaviors, impacting your ability to thrive and live life on life’s terms. Your life challenges and successes also give you unique strengths that we will make good use of in our work together.
As a mental health provider and drug and alcohol counselor, I have worked extensively with:
- Dialectal Behavior Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Family Systems Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Drug and Alcohol Assessments
- Medication-Assisted Treatment for Support with Opioid Dependency
- Seeking Safety
- Individual, Couples, and Family Counseling
- Group Therapy
- Adjustments to Complex Medical Conditions
- Professional and Career Burnout
- EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy
- Somatic Experiencing (not certified)
I am also in recovery from alcohol use disorder, coming from a lens of lived experience. I have benefited from support, healthy relationships, and doing my own therapy. I know this road, both professionally, and personally. I can help you navigate it with expertise, kindness and strength and success. If your goal is abstaining, medication support, or just cutting down on substance use, I can help you find effective ways to cope with trauma and loss without turning to substance use.
If you are seeking someone who is comfortable working with all sorts of people, I welcome:
- BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color)
- All Races
- All Religions
- All Cultures
- All Economic Backgrounds
- Rural Folks or City Folks
I am comfortable working with all races, gender expressions, including non-binary genders, sexual orientations and expressions, adolescents, adults, and geriatric people. I also welcome transgender populations, including those experiencing transgender process affirmations within their medical community.
I come from a diverse background with a vast amount of clinical experience:
- Medical Social Worker and Addiction Specialist Oregon Health and Science University
- Mental Health Provider for Adolescents at Sea Mar
- Mental Health Provider and Drug and Alcohol Counselor for the Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest Inc
- Faculty for Portland State University in their School of Social Work Program
Because I have been there, I know the courage it takes to walk into my office, sit down with me, and begin to tell your story. I am deeply honored by your first step of trust, and strive to be worthy of your trust in every interaction we have. If you are looking for a compassionate, inspiring mental health therapist who is goal- and results-oriented, please contact Counseling Services of Portland today and make an appointment with me so we can work together to create a life worth living.
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker: L5734
- Masters of Social Work in Social Work Portland State University 2008
- Bachelors of Art in Liberal Science Northern Arizona University 2002
- Over 12 years of experience in the field of mental and behavioral health, addictions and medical social work.
- Experienced mental health provider facilitating individual and group counseling for people struggling with anxiety and mood disorders impacted by complex trauma.
- Medical social worker specializing in medication assisted treatment, substance use disorders and behavioral health consultation in hospital and primary care settings.
- Program developer for the ever changing field of community health care.
- Advocate, educator, consultant and faculty for patients, providers and learners in the health care community.